July 12, 2010

Day 28 - The Gators are restless

Gary the gator has been hanging around lately.

See? >>>>>>>


I'm not sure if it is coincidence or what, but he hangs out behind the house in the pond while the kids are swimming in the pool. Maybe he can hear or feel the ruckus they make.


Usually one of the kids will come running, yelling, "Mom! Look! There's the gator!". Then I race out with my camera in hand just in time to see him sink down so just his head or eyes are visible.

Last weekend, David saw ol' Gary fully up on the bank and judged him to be closer to 6'. I had previously said I thought he was only about 4'.

Last night, while I was straightening up around the patio I saw Gary come cruising down the center of the pond. It was almost dark, so I didn't run for the camera (should have!). I watched him get to the end of the pond and then, suddenly he jumped up right out of the water! I could see his white throat and belly! SPLASH!!

Yep, missed that photo op.

Today Ryan's mom, my neighbor across the street told me that she watched the gator in her pond (not same pond as behind my house!) eat two birds!!

The crazy gators are restless and showing off these days.

1 comment:

  1. Why do we never have the camera when we need it? Ugh, hate that you missed that shot. We had a gator that loved to swim beside my hubby going back and forth on the lawn with the mower - he did the same in the water beside him. It was a hoot.

    ReplyDelete